The Education Frontier

The Education Frontier is a portfolio of teaching stimuli.

social studies grade 10

This week I am having a closer look at the Social Studies grade 10 curriculum. In our Multiliteracies class we had a workshop last week in the digital scholarship commons and learned how to use canva. Potentially, it is a better tool to create mindmaps and therefore I am using canva this week for my ideas on the SS Gr. 10 BC curriculum.

In order to dive deeper into the material, I would like to use the opportunity to create a lesson plan on ideologies. Ideologies fall under “Government, First Peoples governance, political institutions, and ideologies.”

Lesson Plan for an 80 min. Class on Ideologies

Hook:

Video of Tucker Carlson, students have to identify terms linked to ideologies, Is Tucker Carlson using the correct terms? What are the definitions of those terms?

Kahoot: https://create.kahoot.it/details/80410a10-f389-4855-955e-001033318c11 Test students’ understanding of ideology terms.

Body:

• Mind Map of ideologies and sub-ideologies
  • PPP: One slide per ideology for definition, ask students to link ideology to a country 

Closure:

• Have 10 examples of scenarios, students have to identify and argue why this statement/ scenario supports a certain ideology
  • Assign a scenario to two students
  • Other students have to observe students that argue and assign a winner of the debate